My family doesn’t like Brussels Sprouts much, actually… at all. However, I have gotten the thumbs up with these. My daughter did say she would eat them again. My husband said they really didn’t taste like Brussels Sprouts and he seemed to like them. This recipe is dairy-free and gluten-free. You can eat it as a side or I like to make it my lunch.
I recently discovered the purple sprouts. I think they taste better than the green. They have a nuttier, milder flavor. I bought some seeds and was going to try growing them this year in my garden.
You can shred the sprouts in a food processor or do it by hand. Processor takes 30 seconds. I shred a tub at a time and pull out as much as I need.
You can use either cut up slices of bacon or use precooked bacon pieces. Try to use nitrate free bacon.
I used nutritional yeast for the faux Parmesan flavor to keep it dairy free. Besides, nutritional yeast is healthy for you. It has protein and tons of B-vitamins!
Only cook the sprouts long enough to warm them. You don’t want them mushy.
I like to keep them crispy. If you prefer them soft then cook them until they are the texture you prefer.
Brussels Sprouts Faux Parmesan with Bacon
- Spray oil (a healthy oil from your misto)
- 2 cups cleaned green Brussels sprouts, shredded.
- 2 cups cleaned purple Brussels sprouts, shredded.
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and chopped into small pieces (or 1/4 c bacon pieces)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 – 1.5 T nutritional yeast
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- Spray oil in pan to coat lightly.
- Add cooked bacon and garlic. Heat until warm, add sprouts.
- Spray oil lightly over top of sprouts.
- Stir to mix in bacon and garlic.
- Season with sea salt and pepper (freshly ground gives the best taste)
- Cook a minute or two, mixing to warm evenly. (I like them crunchy, but cook longer if you want them soft)
- Sprinkle nutritional yeast over the sprouts, stir in and warm a minute.