Who doesn’t love a good brownie? No one I know.
I was blessed with a package of Extra White Gold Brownie Mix at the Nourished Festival. I promptly made it and here’s how it stacked up.
White Gold offers several products, but I am only touching on the Gluten Free Brownie Mix, since I haven’t tried the others.
The brownie mix is free from all 8 allergens which is wonderful if you struggle with food allergies. Egg free is an option. They recommend replacing the eggs in the recipe with 1 3/4 containers of non-dairy yogurt. I haven’t tried that, so I can’t comment on how it works out. If you do, let us know how it turns out.
The ingredients needed are oil, water and eggs. All things you already have at home. It says to use vegetable oil, but since I don’t use that anymore, I used avocado oil.
It makes a 8×8 or 9×9 size pan of brownies.
The batter was smooth and creamy. I didn’t think it needed to be topped with anything, although you could add a topping or even nuts to the batter.
It made a moist, soft, chocolaty, delicious brownie. Everyone loved it, even the gluten free haters that visit me. I didn’t tell them it was gluten free. The brownies didn’t last very long. They were gone in no time.
- easy to make
- certified gluten free
- nut free
- dairy free
- no preservatives
- egg free option
- I didn’t find any stores it was available in.
- Not organic
- Higher in sugar, it is a brownie after all. Be aware if you are watching your sugar intake.
- Contains corn starch. Be aware if you’re sensitive to or avoid corn.
- One ingredient did bother me, the partially hydrogenated oil. We know partially hydrogenated oils are bad for us*. Not sure why there wouldn’t be a better option. I sent an email inquiring about the use of the PHO, but as of yet I have not received a response. If I get a response, I will update this post.
This is a great tasting product. As far as the other issues, you need to decide for yourself which ones are important to you.
- The White Gold website
Other products they offer: (all gluten free)
- All Purpose Flour (cup for cup)
- Bread Flour Blend (cup for cup)
- Vanilla Cake Mix
- Chocolate Cake Mix
- A variety of cookbooks
For more information, check out the Extra White Gold website
*The creation of partially hydrogenated oils artificially creates trans fats. Learn more about hidden trans fat here.
**I strive to give an honest opinion and accurate information. All information was accurate at the time of publishing.