I received a sample of both Tiger Nuts Snacks and Tiger Nuts Flour. Tiger nuts are not nuts at all. Rather, they are tubers, more of a root vegetable.
I’ll touch briefly on the snacks. I did not like the snacks. While the flavor was good, they were too hard and I was genuinely concerned that my teeth were going to break so I didn’t even finish them.
As far as the flour, that’s a different story.
The Tiger Nuts flour has a sweet, nutty flavor. It is slightly chewy. It is basically ground tiger nuts. So far, I used it to make cookies and pancakes and they came out good. I really liked the cookies.
The cookies were more chewy than they would typically be, which I liked. They were also very fragile coming out of the oven, until they cooled.
It can be used 1 to 1 as a flour replacement.
I would imagine that the tiger nut flour would be an easy switch for any nut flour, although I haven’t tried it.
I also made pancakes using a recipe I found online. The taste was good. They also had the slightly chewy texture. This is not necessary a bad thing. It depends on how you like your pancakes. Put a little peanut butter on top or chocolate hummus and you have yourself a great little snack!
How does it compare nutritionally to almond flour? Based on 1/4 cup…
- similar in calories
- less protein and fat than almond flour
- more fiber and sugar than almond flour
- nut free- almond flour is not
- nut free
- gluten free
- dairy free
- certified organic
- contains prebiotic fiber
- good source of resistant starch
- high in fiber
- high in magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, vitamins C and E
- allergy friendly
- contains anti-nutrients, such as tannins and oxalates, which may be reduced a bit by germinating or roasting the nuts prior to eating
- people with GI issues may be sensitive to the fiber in tiger nuts
- has natural sugars that you might not get in other flours
- hard to find
- not many recipes out there
Not yet available in every grocery store.
- variety of health food stores
For more information, check their website: TigerNutsUSA.com
**I strive to give an honest opinion and accurate information. All information was accurate at the time of publishing to the best of my knowledge.