This is a chocolate mousse recipe using healthier ingredients. Avocados are a power house of nutrients. Keep in mind that while this uses healthier ingredients, this is not a low calorie dessert.
Make it a little thinner for more of a chocolate pudding.
Theses amounts are rough estimates. It really depends on the size of your avocado. Start with these amounts and tweek it to fit your tastes.
Healthier Chocolate Mousse
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup honey, maple syrup or coconut nectar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 T -1/4 cup non-dairy milk (depending how thick or thin you want it to be)
- Add all ingredients into a food processor.
- Blend until smooth.
- Taste. If it is bitter, it is from the chocolate, add more sweetener to taste.
- If you would like it thinner, add more non-dairy milk a little at a time until it is the consistency you like.
It will last a few days.
It makes a nice little filling as well. Here I put it in some pre-baked gluten-free pie crusts.
Below, I topped it with some dairy-free cannoli filling, sweetened with Swerve.
How about some peppermint extract? That could be good. I might have to try that next time.
You can also use dark chocolate powder or even add espresso powder to the chocolate. You may need a little more sweetener for these.
Top with berries, bananas, coconut, etc.